Thursday, July 23, 2015

Welcome to Chicago, T-Swift

I wanted to go to the 1989 Tour since I first heard the album but I didn't buy my ticket until 3 days before the show. It was a battle for tickets because there were so few left for sale from the venue and I didn’t want to pay for the ridiculous overpriced resale tickets. Luckily I was alble to snatch a seat in the lower 100 level of Soldier Field. 

Costumes. Part of the fun of the 1989 tour is dressing up and making a costume that relates to the album. My best friend Erin and I had a couple ideas, but not being the craftiest people (and the laziest) we decided to wear black dresses with a scarlet “A” printed on it with a sign that says “trust me mine is better” on it. This idea is a subtle reference to Taylor’s song on the deluxe album “New Romantics”. It is one of my favorite songs and I feel like it is under appreciated. 


On the train to downtown Chicago it was raining and there was a tornado warning until 10 pm which made me nervous that the show would be delayed/cancelled. Luckily, the sun came out and it ended up being a hot and humid day which I would take over a funnel cloud any day. 

Erin and I sat in different sections so we went to find our seats right as Shawn Mendes came out on stage. Believe it or not, I am a huge Shawn Mendes fan at the age of 20. I think he is adorable and he has an excellent voice and he is just all around talented for someone his age. I love his music and his debut album is something I could definitely listen to all day. He said that this particular show since there were so many people already in their seats that it was the largest crowd he has ever performed for and he seemed genuinely grateful and excited. I get the impression that he is just a sweetheart and I will always support him. 

After Shawn was Vance Joy. I am very uneducated on his music other than Riptide that is played on the radio all the time. Having this be my first impression of his music, I was hooked. He enjoyed performing and thanked Taylor for having him along on tour multiple times. His music is very chill and I liked the lyrics. Warning- listening to the words, he seems like a very thoughtful and romantic man and the songs just made me wish I was in a relationship (which sadly I am not) this could be my new playlist when I’m feeling emotional. Although the more I listened to it, the more I wish I had been a fan before the show so I knew the songs. 

The third and final opening act on the tour are Taylor’s good friends Haim. They are super rock, edgy girls that can rock out. I had never heard their music before and to be honest, I wasn't really feeling it. They were kind of mumbling on stage and jumping around and making some facial expressions that were quite frankly, scary. I don't think I will ever be listening to their music after that performance. If it were up to me I would have had Haim be the first act and gave them less time, followed by Shawn and then Vance. I would have preferred to have the other acts be on stage longer instead of them. 

Finally the moment we were all waiting for- Taylor comes on stage. You can always rely on Taylor to put on a great show and she definitely did not disappoint. She started with Welcome to New York and ended with Shake it Off. On this first night at Soldier Field, her special guest was Andy Grammar and they sang Honey, I’m good which got me super excited because I love Andy. But the next night (the show I didn’t go to was Sam Hunt) I absolutely love Sam Hunt and would have given anything to have been at that show instead. What I love about her is how she will stop and have a conversation with you in-between songs. I think that she is a very wise person and is someone that you can really learn from. She talked about how one of her fans asked her if she should get back together with her boyfriend because he said he loved her and she asked the girl why he could say it then but he couldn’t say it when they were together. She told all 60,000 of us that we are worthy of being loved and having someone that will tell us when it actually matters. Taylor is an extremely strong person and regardless of what people say about her I think that she has a good heart and genuinely cares about her fans. After our heart to heart she said that Chicago had given her all the feels and was going to sing one of her old songs that she has never played on the 1989 tour before. She started singing Fifteen and emotions ran high. Although I wasn't kissing boys and going on dates at the age of 15 that song was always one of my favorites. Of course for the rest of the songs I was singing at the top of my lungs and recording videos. My snapchat story might have also been over 300 seconds long. Ooops. #NoRagrats 

What was so cool about this tour is that every person in the stadium got this bracelet that you activate before she comes on stage and they would all light up during songs and created a twinkling light effect that was actually beautiful. The whole stadium was lit up and I can only imagine how cool it looked from where Taylor was standing. 

Although I paid the same amount for the Red tour two years ago and was in the pit and was so close I touched her, I still don’t regret going to this show. 1989 is her best album so far and she seems to have it all going for her with her friends and special guests. There’s no stopping her. 






No comments:

Post a Comment